Ever wonder, why choose waxing? There are three main types of hair removal you can choose from. HK Wax Center – Austin Arbor wants explain the pros and cons of each to help you make a decision on what hair removal service is right for you.
Types of Hair Removal Video
Laser Hair Removal
- During laser hair removal, a laser beam will pulsate light onto the hair follicle. This is supposed to permanently damage it and discourage future hair growth. However, laser hair removal is not permanent as often advertised.
- On average, a person needs to go through 10-20 sessions to reduce hair growth for 2 years. But since this process is not permanent, they will need to have maintenance sessions every 6 months.
- Unfortunately, the hair growth cycle will refurbish every time a person goes through a hormonal change. An example of this would be getting pregnant or going through menopause. So this means that additional sessions are required since the hair growth cycle will all come back.
- This method can only be used if you have light skin and dark hair. Having light hair will result in serious burns on your skin so the darker the hair, the better!
- Most clients need numbing cream to help with the pain caused by it.
- Electrolysis is the only type of hair removal that is actually permanent.
- This is achieved by having a metal probe inserted into the skin until it reaches the hair follicle. Then, electricity is transmitted into the hair follicle which will permanently annihilate the hair.
- Since they are only able to target one follicle at a time, this process is much slower. There are some clients that will undergo sessions for years. Luckily, after the sessions are finished, you will be hair free forever!
- This method does not require you to have a certain hair color or skin color to be performed, unlike laser hair removal.
- Electrolysis is said to be much less painful than laser, obviously there will be discomfort involved.
- This form of hair removal is semi permanent and removes hair from the root. The hair will not grow back for four to six weeks, although some hair follicles will grow back faster due to different growth cycles.
- The hair type or color does not matter with waxing just like electrolysis, as long as hair is there it can be pulled out.
- Since the hair is pulled from the root, the hair will grow back softer and finer each time it grows back in. Also, some hair follicles will be killed off and stop growing back altogether.
- Brazilian waxing is highly popular for clients who get razor burn from shaving. The grow in process is much easier since there is a new baby hair coming in every time instead of a sharp hair that was cut off through shaving instead. Body waxing is also convenient since it is so quick and precise.
- However, after care is very important with waxing since ingrowns and blemishes can result if not properly taken care of or by getting waxing by an unexperienced waxer. Making sure you do not engage in sex, working out or swimming for 24 hours after a wax to prevent this things from happening.
- Threading is when a thin cotton thread is twisted and used to roll over certain areas to remove the hair.
- This type of hair removal is the most unsanitary since one of the strings is held in the mouth of the person performing the service and they also tend to not wear protective gloves like the other hair removal types do.
- Threading is mostly only used for eyebrow hair removal, which makes their clientele much smaller compared to the other options.
- Some people prefer this method since it can be less irritating to the skin. However, there are cases where the skin is snapped in between the pieces of thread which will result in either breaking the skin or causing a blood clot to build up underneath the skin.